Monday, November 14, 2011

Homemade Vanilla Extract!






never pay $12.99 for a small bottle of vanilla extract ever again. As much baking as I do, there had to be a cheaper way to get vanilla. My good friend Sarah turned me onto making my own, because hot damn it's about the easiest thing to make. Join me in making your own, saving money and tasting about the best vanilla extract out there... your own.

Here is what you will need to make one jar, you can totally make as much as you want ( I made 3 jars):

Quart Size glass jar with lid
6 vanilla beans ( I got mine online from this place http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Bourbon-Madagascar-Vanilla-Beans-Approx/dp/B002C1CYK4/ref=sr_1_22?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1321290246&sr=1-22

2 cups of vodka or bourbon ( I used vodka & one that was on the cheaper side) You will use 2 cups of vodka to every 6 vanilla beans.

Here is what do to:

take your vanilla beans & using a sharp knife or kitchen shears cut in half length wise leaving an inch to half inch together at the top of bean.
Shove the beans into the quart jar & add 2 cups vodka.
Put lid on jar and shake
Shake every few days or so
you will have the most amazing extract in 8-12 weeks. The longer the beans sit the stronger your vanilla will be. & what makes this better is the beans will last a few years, every time you use your vanilla add more vodka  to the beans & its the gift that keeps giving. Awesome right?

No comments:

Post a Comment