Thursday, September 27, 2012

How did she do that, Birthday Treats!

Catherine's 7th Birthday Cake! How I made it, I used boxed cake mixes 1 chocolate, 1 vanilla. I made them according to the box, baking them in a 1/4 sheet pan laying down parchment paper & then spraying it with pam/cooking spray & pouring in cake mix & baking according to package. Made sure it cooled long enough. I made this icing http://laneysfoodblog.blogspot.com/2010/10/amazing-butter-cream-icing.html
This is my go too icing, it tastes amazing & works out great for decorating cakes. I put a layer on top of my first cake layer & then added my 2nd layer of cake. Did a crumb coat ( i spread a very thin layer of icing all over cake & then put in refrigerator for 2 hours or so.) This way when I go to put the final layer of icing on you don't get a bunch of cake crumbs all mixed up in your icing. I used a decorating tip for boarder, jimmies/sprinkles along the sides & then used another tip to write out Happy Birthday & added the tiara. I got the tiara on amazon.com.
Ryan's 3rd Birthday Cake, I made this the same way I did the above cake. I used a star tip for the icing & got this edible transfer ( that didn't have that gross taste that some of those things can have) http://www.etsy.com/shop/CustomEdibleToppers

These are not cakes but people seem to love chocolate covered pretzels, I used the melts from the craft store. & the cookies are this recipe http://laneysfoodblog.blogspot.com/2010/10/sugar-cookies-icing.html
 

Take a bag of pretzels snaps lay them out on a cookie sheet & take either Hershey hugs, kisses, or the chocolate disks & place them on top put them in the oven at 200*F & wait till they are just soft. Keep an eye on them you don't want them to totally melt. when you take them out you can put candies on top or sprinkles. put in fridge to harden. 
I made this popcorn for Catherine's birthday party, the kids & even adults raved about it. I used my hot air popper, lay ed the popcorn out on cookie trays lined with wax paper, melted purple white chocolate disks & drizzled over the popcorn & then sprinkled with sprinkles. again refrigerate.
Got alot of these ideas from pinterest but put my own spin on it. I made this butter cookies using my butter cookie recipe http://laneysfoodblog.blogspot.com/2011/12/butter-cookies.html. I bought sanding sugar in bulk I rolled the dough into balls & then rolled the balls in the sanding sugar & then baked them. As soon as they came out of the oven I stuck a Hershey hug in the center just lightly. make sure you let me harden before putting them into a container.

No comments:

Post a Comment